What is so great about voice control?
Explore All the Features of Amazon’s Alexa
Since Amazon released their voice control assistant, Alexa, more than 10 million people have purchased it—including the Echo, Dot, and Tap control devices. Google, Apple, and other companies are trying to compete with their own versions, but there isn’t a main competitor yet that rivals Alexa in the voice control department. While this intuitive device has opened up many new people to the realm of home automation, those who already have a control system can still benefit from it by integrating Alexa into their home system. Keep reading this blog to discover what features you can benefit from with voice control in your Vancouver, WA area home.
WHAT CAN IT DO?
Alexa can perform a multitude of actions from turning on your lights to giving you the weather report. Here are some basic bullet points on what Alexa can assist you with.
- Play Music: The Echo doubles as a music player too. Say, “Alexa, play 80s hits on Pandora” and it will start playing hits like “Thriller” “Like a Virgin” and other songs related to that genre.
- Act as a Clock: Alexa can give you the current time, set an alarm for you or a timer.
- Order Food or Cabs: Say, “Alexa, open Domino’s” and it will help you order a pizza. You can also get an Uber to pick you up and a number of other similar services.
- Control Your Lights: Alexa is compatible with Lutron, Control4, and Crestron lighting.
- Integrate with Control4 and Crestron Home Systems: If you have either system, you can control any feature in your home using your voice with Alexa, like the audio, video, thermostat, security, lighting, shading and more. It can also access scenes like “Good Morning” and “Good Night” to make performing a multitude of actions quick and easy.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
First, you need to place the Amazon Echo, Tap or Dot in a room. If you already have a home system, we will integrate Alexa into your house by connecting the system to the Alexa app. Once it recognizes your devices and scenes, your home is ready for voice control. Say, “Alexa, dim the lights 50%” and it will change your lighting levels instantly. Or, ask Alexa to turn on a specific scene like, “Away,” as you leave for work in the morning and it will turn the lights off, adjust the thermostat, arm the security system, and lock the doors.
Amazon currently has three different devices that run the voice control assistant software Alexa. The difference between the three different devices is as follows:
The Echo: This is the flagship model and is suitable for large rooms. Plug it into the wall and simply say “Alexa” before any command to turn it on and activate the device.
The Tap: The Tap is almost identical to the Echo, except for a couple of small features. One, it sits on a charging dock so you can move it around your home, or easily transport it to another location. Two, in order to turn the device on, you must “tap” a button on top of the speaker.
The Dot: The Dot is a smaller version of the Echo and is ideal for small rooms, like bedrooms or a home office. Place a Dot in every room of your home to use voice control seamlessly.
A great benefit of working with a local smart home installation company like us is that not only do we offer you the latest technologies – like Alexa – but we can also customize your home any way you like. Control your home that suits your personal style, whether it’s turning on the TV with your voice, a universal remote control, a keypad on the wall, or an app on your smartphone.
What is so great about Alexa?
In short, Alexa is a handy tool to help you organize your life. From setting alarms to turning off lights as you leave the house and ordering a pizza, Alexa makes performing different tasks easy. Just say what you want and she’ll do it for you. It’s almost as good as having a magic genie at your side, but you get more than three wishes.
Fill out this online form and tell us what kind of home technology you’d like to incorporate into your daily lifestyle.