What is Home Automation, Anyway?
Getting to Know Custom Electronics Systems
When you hear the term “smart home,” it might bring a scene from The Jetsons to mind. We may not have flying cars or robot maids, but what we do have are custom electronics systems that make life easier and better on a regular basis. If you’re just now exploring home automation technology, you may not know the full extent of what’s possible. In this blog, we break down what this technology is and how you can start enjoying it in your Vancouver, WA area property.
Defining Home Automation
There are a lot of different definitions out there, but in the general sense, home automation is all about making the traditionally manual processes throughout your home “smarter” by connecting them to the Internet of Things.
What is the Internet of Things, you ask? It refers to the growing number of internet-connected devices that you can control remotely via smartphone, tablet, or desktop computer. Your refrigerator, window treatments, overhead lights, and more can all become part of this automation system that achieves a desired effect at the push of a single button.
Options for Your Home
Yes, you can connect your refrigerator to the Internet of Things, but most modern homes focus on more practical applications that offer a lot of comfort and convenience to everyday life. Here are some popular options:
- Motorized Shades: Imagine having your shades raise and lower automatically to keep each room at the perfect levels of natural light. Motorized shades can also help prevent solar heat gain so that your HVAC system runs at peak efficiency.
- Lighting Control: Adjust lights in one room, several rooms, or across your entire property instantly with a centralized lighting control system. More than just turning the lights on and off, you can set up your system with saved “scenes” that give you ideal lighting for any given situation.
- Audio/Video Distribution: The modern home typically has multiple televisions, media devices, and audio speakers. Instead of treating them all as separate systems, you can join them all together through A/V distribution. From anywhere in the home, you can control every television or sound system with ease.
- Home Security: Automation allows you to take home security to the next level. Real-time surveillance cameras, smart door locks, motion sensors, and more are all accessible via your smartphone, which gives you much more flexibility in maintaining a safe and secure home.
- Much More: The biggest benefit of an integrated smart system is that it is fully customizable for your needs. Want an automated system for watering your lawn or controlling your Jacuzzi? It’s definitely possible with integrated technology.
How to Get Started
Room Service Integrated Solutions is the automation expert in the Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington area. As such, we’re ready to help design and install the custom system of your dreams! To get started on a customized automation solution, just give us a call at (503) 598-7380 or fill out this quick contact form.